CHR probes surrender of 80 suspected rebels in Bukidnon

MALAYBALAY CITY – The Commission on Human Rights is investigating the surrender of 80 alleged New People’s Army (NPA) over complaints of alleged illegal arrest among others, lawyer Jeanny Ivy Abrina, CHR 10 regional director said.

 

Abrina told Bukidnon News Friday they started the probe on November 28, based on a report by the 4th Infantry Division. But she cited that they received reports from a human rights group prompting their investigation. “Our central office received reports
from Karapatan that the returnees and child soldiers have been illegally arrested, detained, and labeled as child soldiers,” she said in a series of SMS.

 

Abrina, however, said they have yet to finalize their “independent report” on the matter. She added that they have not received a copy of the Karapatan report, too. Eighty alleged members of the New People’s Army surrendered to the 8th Infantry Battalion in Maramag town. The surrenderees, led by Benjamin Salusad alias Nonong, also reportedly turned in 25 high-powered firearms.

 

Only 31 of the surrenderees were said to be fulltime combatants and 49 were members of the Milisya ng Bayan (People’s Militia). Seventy of them were males.The surrenderees belong to the Tigwahanon, Matigsalog and Manobo tribes of San Fernando.

 

Bukidnon News earlier reported that the 4th Infantry Division maintained they did not “round up” the 80 alleged New People’s Army surrenderees as the Communist Party of the Philippines claimed in their recent statement.

 

Maj. Eugenio Julio Osias, IV, Commanding Officer of the 4th Civil-Military Operations Battalion-Philippine Army said in the report that the identities of the 80 surrenderees were “validated facts and confirmed by our tactical intelligence.”

 

The CPP media bureau slammed the surrender ceremony in Bukidnon calling it a “psywar fakery,” adding the supposed surrenderees led by Benjamin Salusad a.k.a. Kumander Nonong “may have been rounded-up by the military and made to pose as NPA fighters.”

 

“Kumander Nonong is the commanding officer of the Sangay sa Platon Pampropaganda 3, Front 6 of the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee of the New People’s Army. They were interviewed by local and international reporters. They voluntarily surrendered. We did not round them up. They knew very well they will be covered,” said Osias.

 

Osias said Nonong told him he decided to surrender because he was disgusted by the way the NPA treats the lumad fighters as “second class citizen pa rin in the communist movement.”

 

Bukidnon Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. also expressed doubts on Salusad’s surrender based on statements by San Fernando town vice mayor Levi Edma, who told the Sangguniang Panlalawigan earlier that the armed group leader actually heads a lawless group and has been removed from the NPA. Salusad told Bukidnon News earlier that Edma financed the illegal gold mining activity in Dao village in San Fernando town.

 

But Edma denied this saying, he is “a buyer, not a financier”. (Walter I. Balane/Bukidnon News)

Advertisements

One Response

  1. […] CHR probes surrender of 80 suspected rebels in Bukidnon (bukidnonews.wordpress.com) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: