Implementation of 4Ps “difficult to monitor” in Bukidnon

MALAYBALAY CITY – The Department of Social Welfare and Development’s conditional cash transfer program dubbed Pantawid Pamilyang
Pilipino Program (4Ps) is difficult to monitor, Christopher Capinpin,
the program’s provincial coordinator, admitted to the Sangguniang
Panlalawigan Wednesday.

Capinpin spoke in an inquiry by provincial board members on the status
of the program’s implementation in the province. There have been
previous reports that some recipients are not qualified, and some
qualified ones did not use the fund assistance to address the
conditions required in the program.Dili gyud tanan ma monitor ang compliance,” (We can’t completely
monitor compliance) Capinpin said.

Christopher Capinpin, provincial coordinator of the DSWD's Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program, listens as Arsenio Alagenio, Bukidnon provincial social welfare and development officer speaks to members of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan on Sept. 7, 2011 on the government conditional cash transfer program's implementation in Bukidnon

He reported that a total of P86.864 million was distributed to 49,130
recipients in 18 of the 20 towns and two cities in the province so far
this year.

The  4Ps, a poverty-reduction program, is a priority of the Aquino
administration. It seeks to provide cash subsidy to the poorest
households, help improve health, nutrition and education especially of
children up to 14 years old.

Capinpin cited that they have hired municipal links or coordinators to
check on the compliance of the recipients. He added that every
coordinator has to monitor about 900 to 1,300 recipients.

“It is very difficult to control compliance for 100 percent. We just
rely on their (coordinator’s) own strategy,” he said.

He said that they hold monthly meetings dubbed as the family
development session. But he stopped short of saying it is a monitoring
scheme even if they check the receipts the recipients made for big
purchases from their fund.

“In the meeting, we orient them on the proper use of the funds,” he
told the provincial board.

Vice Gov.  Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr noted the “management flaws”
experienced by DSWD in implementing the project. He cited the
inclusion of persons not qualified to be among the recipients. He said
this is happening while many qualified members of the community are
not in the list.

Arsenio Alagenio, Bukidnon provincial social welfare officer, said
that the basis for the distribution lists which is the survey
conducted by DSWD in 2008 was erroneous.

Capinpin said that they have received a list of about 400 recipients
in Bukidnon who should be excluded as recipients. The list includes
teachers and other professionals and some businessmen.

Capinpin said there is a plan to install a monitoring scheme if indeed
the recipients have followed the conditions even if he said it is a
difficult task. He added that within the year, they expect that the
cities of Malaybalay and Valencia and the towns of Manolo Fortich and
Maramag would be included in the program. (Walter I. Balane)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: