MALAYBALAY CITY- The city’s garbage collection volume dropped from 22 tons in 2009 to 15 tons as of June 2011 after the implementation of City Ordinance No. 669 or the local waste segregation law since June 2010, the City Environment and Natural Resources Office, said.
Ma. Anita Fernandez, CENRO chief told Bukidnon News Tuesday the 31 percent drop is due to their strict implementation of the ordinance, which was passed in 2009, following Republic Act 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act.
The ordinance required households and establishments to segregate at source and penalize violators.
She noted that since February 2011, when they started to fine violators, they have issued a total of 30 citation tickets so far. The minimum fine is P500 for households and P1,000 for commercial establishments, on first offence.
She said it is not a very remarkable catch to describe violators but “it’s quite a number for the city’s pioneering efforts” of segregation at source.
She said of 15 tons collected, only six tons are bio-degradable, which goes to the city’s bio reactor in Can-ayan village, location of its present dumpsite, proposed but called off as an open land fill. The city government started to operate the bio-reactor since November 2010 and has produced organic fertilizer used to support the city government’s needs so far, she added.
Fernandez said the city’s materials recovery facility (MRF), where they have a plastic densifier, has started to operate this year. The City ENRO produces tiles and flower pots made from processed plastic, she added, which they supplied to the departments of the city government.
She clarified that they have only implemented the ordinance in the city’s poblacion area composed of 11 barangays and the villages of Sumpong and Kalasungay. She mentioned that they have conducted a dry run of the collection of segregated wastes in seven highway barangays, but imposed no penalties yet to violators.
The City ENRO, a requisite department among local government units, was created only last year when Fernandez was apoointed as officer in charge. She was given a permanent position only this year. (Walter I. Balane)
For more stories on Bukidnon, visit: www.mindanews.com