Bukidnon bishop: Be clear, transparent on peace proposal

MALAYBALAY CITY – Bukidnon bishop Jose A. Cabantan said he preferred to defer his comment on the proposed Moro sub-state when the proposal is made public, as he is asking for transparency on the proposed peaceful solution to the conflict in Mindanao.

The bishop refused to weigh in his comments to the public discussion even as other officials and personalities react on the issue.

In August 12, Bukidnon Vice Gov. Jose Ma. R. Zubiri Jr. welcomed the idea of granting a sub state to the Moro people as a solution to the 40-year old conflict in the region.

“The creation of the sub-state is the best solution so far. It has never been approached properly before,” Zubiri told reporters here, before meeting with mayors and vice mayors for his plan to form a local political party.

Zubiri made the statement after Mohagher Iqbal, MILF peace panel chair admitted to reporters in Manila that the MILF had incorporated the botched Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) in its draft proposal to government.

The bishop said he and the public needs to know the details to be able to join in the discussion.

“Let the contents of the proposal be known in public so we can participate in the discussion and weigh its pros and cons,” he told Bukidnon News in a text message Monday.

The bishop said he doesn’t want a repeat of what happened to the Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain (MOA-AD) in 2008.

“It was not transparent. Hence, it is good to be transparent and clear on the terms of the agreement like the so-called sub-state, for instance” he added.

In an earlier statement, GPH peace panel chair Marvic Leonen said they prefer that negotiations with the MILF be done at the negotiating table rather than through the media.

He also revealed that the GPH’s proposal to resolve the conflict in Mindanao will be presented to the MILF on August 22,” he said.

“In our view, the MILF’s release of details of their proposal is part of their effort to check the sentiment of various publics for their current positions,” he added in the statement emailed to the media last week by the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP). (Walter I. Balane)

See more stories about Bukidnon, visit: www.mindanews.com

Advertisements

2 Responses

  1. […] Bukidnon bishop: Be clear, transparent on peace proposal (bukidnonews.wordpress.com) […]

  2. […] Bukidnon bishop: Be clear, transparent on peace proposal (bukidnonews.wordpress.com) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: